Velez Sarsfield-Newells Old Boys – Primera División 2018/2019 Statistical Preview
No missing players.
- The departure of Santiago Caseres to Villarreal means Nicolas Dominguez has new midfield partners – Gaston Gimenez arrived from Estudiantes and youngster Almada could get a shot.
- Matias Vargas is the key creatively with Mauro Zarate gone and Velez will hope that Jonathan Ramis can provide some goals.
- Goalkeeper Alexander Dominguez was signed in this window and will start between the sticks.
- Luis Leal eventually signed a new deal keeping the striker at the club and the centre forward will lead the attack on Friday.
- Youngsters Stefano Callegari and Alan Luque both played in the Copa Argentina victory last week and could continue in the side.
- Hernan Bernardello and Braian Rivero start in central midfield.
- Despite missing out on Copa Sudamericana qualification, Velez enjoyed a positive season that saw them get well clear of relegation. However, the losses of Santiago Caseres and Mauro Zarate are significant and Gabriel Heinze’s team look far weaker as a result.
- Newell’s won only once all last season and that unwanted record will be one of the first things that Omar de Felippe will want to change. Luis Leal remains key to the Lepra attack and if the powerful striker is on-form, Newell’s are a much more dangerous proposition.
- Both sides could really do with a win for confidence as Velez have had a poor close season and Newell’s were pretty dreadful in the previous campaign. Matias Vargas gave Velez a win in this fixture last time out, but Newell’s could just leave with a point this time.